Why it is important to secure your home computer
Just like protecting ourselves from illness and viruses, we need to protect our computers from illness and virus, this has never been more important than it is today. We are relying on these devices to conduct our daily lives, from schooling to work, telemedicine, to staying in touch with our loved ones, and ordering basic supplies. We need these devices to work and keep working, as we navigate the coming days, weeks, and months ahead. On this page, we will show you how to set up and configure most home computers to be as safe and secure as possible.
Some basic steps to keep your computer secure
- Update all operating systems, software applications and hardware.
- Enable a firewall.
- Lock your computer when it is not in use even in your own home, curious keyboard walking cats, children and others in our homes could accidentally leak sensitive data or cause a security incident.
- Adjust your browsers security settings.
- Install antivirus, anti-malware and anti-malware.
- Encrypt your data.
- Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Password protect your software and lock your device.
- Be aware of scams and the steps to take to stay safe from them.
- Try to separate sensitive computers, (work, school and banking or financial transactions), fromentertainment or general use computers, (games, email, Netflix, etc.)
Below you will find links to step by step guides to help make your computer more secure.
How to secure windows 10 computer
How to secure windows 8 computer
How to secure windows 7 computer
How to secure Mac computer
How to secure an Ipad
How to secure Chrome browser
How to secure Internet explorer browser
How to secure Edge browser
How to secure Safari browser
How to secure Firefox browser